A well written cover letter is extremely important for getting a good job. The cover letter gives the employer your first impression and may play a vital role in deciding whether your resume will go to the next desk or to the bin.
The cover letter gives a brief introduction about your resume, and main aim of the cover letter should be to inform the employer about your resume, for which job you are applying and why you are best suited for the job.
Here are some steps that will enable to write a perfect cover letter.
1. Do some research about the position you want to apply for. Find out as much information as you can about the company through its website, career fairs, and your professional and personal contacts.
2. Address the letter to the hiring manager. If you are unaware about the name of the hiring manager use “Dear Sir” or a title such as “Dear Finance Manager.”
3. Start off by explaining why you are best suited for the job and how your skills are uniquely fit for the job. Also explain how you got to know about the job and the exact position name as advertised.
4. Write about all of the important career achievements by providing a brief review of your resume. Be brief as you would want the employer to go through your resume for more details.
5. Do say something about the salary requirements, but do not be specific. A good statement would be to write “negotiable.”
6. Remember to thank the employer for their precious time and consideration.
7. Write your phone number under your name to provide easy access for the employer.